This course is designed for healthcare security and response teams involved in the proactive management of violence and aggression.
The course teaches breakaway and clinical safe holding techniques to prevent the patient from harming themselves or others. It also covers legal requirements, reporting and aftercare.
All frontline NHS staﬀ whose role requires them to proactively attend aggressive incidents. Under legislation it is an employer’s responsibility to ensure that individuals and roles are risk-assessed in relation to violence and aggression.
Security Team training is appropriate for staff in roles including:
- Security Teams
- Portering Staff
- Site Managers/Ward Managers
- Clinical Response Teams
- Safeguarding/Health and Safety
Roles and responsibilities
- Assessing risk
- NHS security
- Warning/danger signs
- Communication models
- De-escalation skills
- Use of force legislation
- Policies and procedures
Reporting and support
- Documentation and systems
- Post-incident procedures
Stance and positioning
- Tactical Awareness
Breakaway and re-location
- Disengagement techniques
- Safe moving
Clinical safe holding and physical intervention
- Standing, supine and seated interventions
Medical implications of techniques
- Positional/restraint asphyxia
- Safe practice
By the end of this course your team will be able to:
- Recognise and respond to incidents
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Reduce risks for patients and visitors
- Escape from an aggressive situation
- Hold and relocate using accredited techniques
- Understand the legal and medical implications of restraint
- Competently report and debrief an incident
At the end of this course your team will receive:
- A certificate of attendance
- Receive a course workbook
- Access to a dedicated delegate resource area
Many of our courses, especially those with physical skills, can be delivered in a face-to-face training environment, either at your venue or ours.
IKON’s Train the trainer service will enable your team to deliver motivational and insightful training that builds confidence and trust with delegates.
We listen to our clients
... the professionalism, the experience and the knowledge shown by IKON Training was first class. They understood our needs and promptly developed a programme of training which we rolled out to over 120 hospital-based staff.
I have worked in the NHS for over 20 years and this was hands down the best conflict resolution training I have had. Thank you.